Sunday, May 10, 2009

10 Questions with Michael Chong

You’ve helped so many people, but in which area do you think you have failed to help the needy?
Tony Oon

Whenever somebody comes to see me about an Ah Long (loan shark) problem, I try to help. The victim is often not the borrower, but the family, because the borrower has usually run away. Over and over and in so many press conferences, I’ve been urging people not to borrow from Ah Longs. And yet, this problem never ends. Honestly, I’ve failed in this matter. It’s like prescribing Panadol when a person has a fever. There’s some relief but I just can’t cure the illness. But I will not give up. I will continue to attack the root of the problem and it will take time.

Have there been times when you wanted to quit your job? When did you get close to actually walking away? Douglas Peters, KL

This is not an easy job. You have to take care of other people’s problems before you can attend to yours. You face all sorts of risks and come across so much hardship and suffering. Who wants this type of job? But in doing my job, I not only have problems from those on the outside, but sometimes, I have to face my own people (those in MCA) who are envious of me. They don’t want to do the work but they don’t want me to do it either. These are the little Napoleons. Many times, after encounters with them, I have come close to throwing in the towel and walking away. However, I’m lucky to have understanding party leaders and the support of the media and the public. This gives me the strength to carry on. I’m a fighter.

Datuk Michael Chong: For over two decades, Chong has been helping people solve a myriad of problems ranging from the tiresome to the heartbreaking

What does it take to be effective at what you do? Sammy Tan, Kamunting

The most important thing is teamwork. You can’t do everything yourself. I get assistance from the Ministers, Deputy Ministers, State Assemblymen and other wakil rakyat. Above all, I have the backing of the media and the people to make my work effective. For example, when news of a missing girl comes out, I’m sure to get information from the public.

What have you achieved in your work that you are most proud of? Jasmy Ariff, Kepong

One way or another, people from all walks of life support my work. For instance, when I ask for donations to help the less fortunate, even schoolchildren sacrifice their pocket money to help others. This shows that people in this country care. This doesn’t happen everywhere. From my work, I realise that it’s the Malaysian culture to help the needy and I’m proud of that. It’s something money can’t buy.

What is your most complicated/toughest case? W. Seng, Kluang

People sometimes come to see me thinking that I can even deal with supernatural problems. In March, I had a case involving five young men from Alor Star who went to Cambodia on a holiday. There, they were possessed by the spirit of a man who asked them to look for his long-lost wife and son. When the five men came back, they spent RM12,500 to take out newspaper advertisements. That didn’t work and the spirit kept harassing them and mentioned my name. The men thought it would be difficult to meet me but the spirit told them to go to my office on a Monday morning. And true enough, I was available that time. A reporter covering the case couldn’t take photographs of the men – the camera didn’t work – until he “asked for permission” from the spirit. So how do you explain things like these? I failed to help the men locate the two persons, but the spirit has since left the men alone.

In your work with MCA what was the worst situation you have encountered and how did you deal with it? Bulbir Singh, Seremban

In 1997, I received phone calls from Macau from an 18-year-old girl pleading to me to save her, as she was trapped in vice. There were so many calls and I could not sleep. I was a bit scared because she told me her pimp was a powerful gangster. I went there with three journalists (including the late Kuldeep Singh from The Star). We also got help from the then Malaysian High Commissioner in Hong Kong and a TV station there. We had gone to rescue the girl but we ended up needing to be rescued. We were chased by the gangsters but fortunately, the police picked us up in a van and we were saved.

What do your wife and children feel about your work? T.K. Rajah, Klang

My wife and I came from very poor families. So she understands and accepts my work. It’s the same with my children. When we just started our family in the 1980s, life was a bit tough because I was the only one working, earning RM1,200 a month as a salesman. My wife and children are very supportive of my work. We’re Catholics, and every case I handle gives us satisfaction. Now, my eldest daughter, Marina, works for me.

What’s the one thing about you that most people don’t know? Shima

Many people think that I’m Chinese-educated because I work in MCA. But I’m English-educated. I speak Mandarin and some other Chinese dialects. I can only read and write Chinese a little. The most important thing is that I can communicate properly with everybody.

How do you relax after a tough day at the office? Terry J, Kemaman

When I go home after work, there’s usually no traffic jam because it’s already 7.30pm to 8pm. My favourite after-hours spot is Champ’s in Centrepoint, Bandar Utama, where I have a mug of beer and some conversation with friends. I come home in time to watch the 12 o’clock news, and it’s just nice. Sunday is family day, when my wife and I go window-shopping or watch a movie.

No comments: